> I'm a bit confused.
> I use DOSbox but i have timing issues in MIDI.
>
> Was thinking of using DOS 6.22, but then saw FreeDos.
> What reasons might I chose one over the other?
>
> Does FreeDos work under XP or needs to be booted separately?
>
> My music app needs an mup401 or a serial port, so that's an issue.

Hi Dennis! :-)

Since Eric already kindly answered, nothing more than a reminder here:

Since you're already experienced with DOSBox, take a look at its pages (
http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/news.php?show_news=1 ,
http://sourceforge.net/projects/dosbox ), as well at Wikipedia reference (
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DOSBox ), for help.

If you cant find there, what you want, search at its forum and if you still
can't find an answer, please write a post at its forum. You can find it
there: http://vogons.zetafleet.com/index.php?c=7 (ignore the other forums on
this page).
---

I'm sugesting also (since you're running XP), to take a look on VDMS
(although its actually the DOSBox predecesor (as you can see at DOSBox
"thanks" page), it has a totally different approach (more suitable for older
systems, for sound emulating).
You can find its pages there:
home page: http://sourceforge.net/projects/vdmsound/
dl page (v2.0.4):
forum page: http://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?forum_id=63541 (you'll
need a (free) SF.NET account, if you don't already have one).

VDMS stands for (NT)VDM Sound.
What is NTVDM? Please look there: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTVDM .
---

If both fail, you'll need a more complete (entire FreeDOS emulation)
solution (like the (both free) VMWARE server or MS VPC 2007 and other.
Please look at Eric's post), so please post again.
Anyway, please post again, if you'll need anything.

Good Luck!
Giorgos. :-)