>  3) Two crashes in the first two minutes:
>No crashes since the re-install.
>My conclusion is that FreeDOS can't easily share a parition
>with Win9x.

Real mode msdos was discontinued in WinMe/NT/2k/XP. The problm I had when
installing freedos on an existing win partition is that it had tendancy to load
wrong files (command.com), and had to set path and move things around a bit to
make it work good. I do not recommend installing freedos on same partiton as
windows, but recommend install dos first,then windows as a second partition
then linux on remaining disk space. (triboot) ocymmv.

>I wiped the WinMe partition and installed FreeDOS from scratch.

Hopefully you didnt lose your personal data dirs,  one thinking about is a nas
server for the network and schedule daily backups it.

--chris
http://nxdos.souceforge.net/