A lot of the errors you mention actually come from the webring nav
stuff, which I have no control over.  If you want to validate, you
need to omit the webring stuff:

http://www.freedos.org/?webring=no

This validates as correct XHTML.

I tried to pick a banner background that wasn't too image-y so that it
would look much the same on Arachne.  And I've been getting some
peopel complaining that they didn't like the "marble stone" background
pattern, so I felt it was time to change.  At one point, I was looking
to use a gradient of mostly the same color, sort of "web 2.0"-ish.  I
suppose I could do that instead for the banner background.  Or, I
could let it just be a solid color with no image background.

What do others think?  I have some time today before I leave on my
trip, so if I can get a sense of what people think they'd prefer, I
can see about making the change now.

-jh