Hi m4mach,

> I've notice some very strange thing. When I deleted all files from floppy
> image (apart from kernel) and then put them again it worked...

Probably because you accessed fewer sectors near the end then.
I think your problem is that HIMEM space or EMM386 space overlap
with MEMDISK space which can cause crashes.

> 1. Is HIMEMX better than HIMEM?

If HIMEMX is "FreeDOS HIMEM plus some bugfixes by Japheth": Yes.

> 2. Is JEMMEX better than EMM386/HIMEM?

Only for the very specific case that you want to squeeze out
every single byte of free DOS memory, or that you need the
new "load very special drivers which work only with JEMMEX"
feature. And only if sort of experimental software is okay
for you to use.

OTHERWISE I recommend to use JEMM386 (also on www.japheth.de)
which is an optimized and improved version of FreeDOS emm386.

> 3. What's the difference between EMM386 and HIMEM.?

HIMEM lets you access the HMA (DOS=HIGH) and XMS memory
(with XMS available, FreeCOM uses only little DOS RAM,
and other tools like ramdisks and caches also need XMS).

EMM386 lets you access EMS memory, which is needed by a
few older programs, and UMB memory, which lets you do
things like DOSDATA=UMB, DOS=UMB and LOADHIGH / DEVICEHIGH.
In addition, EMM386 modifies your access to the HMA, and
EMM386 must be loaded after HIMEM.

JEMMEX cannot really be compared to either. It is both at
the same time, but then different, and with some added
inferface for special drivers.

> Better means for me more stable / powerfull / faster.

My recommendation is Japheth-improved-HIMEM plus JEMM386.
If you need no UMB / EMS, you might omit JEMM386, which
should make things faster and more stable, but without
UMB, you will have much less RAM free, maybe 590k instead
of 620k, so you get "less powerful".

> burned onto CD - so no change in the future, simply have to decide

You should use a CD-RW until you are happy with your floppy.

> 4. Does FreeDOS run on floppy image with FAT16

If it is FAT16 then it is no floppy. FreeDOS automatically assumes
CHS (no LBA) for drives called A:. Apart from that, if you get all
parameters set right, it should work. Note that you must NOT change
any parameters or FAT type after you use SYS, otherwise it is easy
to end up with a non-bootable image. As you have Linux, try this:

www.coli.uni-saarland.de/~eric/stuff/soft/specials/sys-freedos-linux.zip

Another way might be to tell MEMDISK to simulate a harddisk instead
of a floppy. Note that that will modify the drive numbering for DOS.
Also note that FAT12 can be up to 31.9 MB (in theory, 127.9 MB) but
that some tools might get confused much earlier. For example the max
possible "2 sided, < 256 cyl" geometry is 16 MB.

Of course the question is: Why do you need an image above 2.88 MB at all?

Eric