>> We (many people in this list) espent months testing himem and emm386
>> from Michael Devore. Are those two just a bugfix from *that* well tested
>> version or is it descendent from somewhere else?

> As for HimemX: there are 12 bugfixes and some optimizations, all described in
> the readme.txt.
After reading the HimemX Readme, a few comments:

>  - FDHimem opens an "interrupt window" in v86-mode only. HimemX opens
>    an "interrupt window" in both v86- and real-mode.
that was probably the point where Jack started his own civil war ;)

>  - in FDHimem the routine which tests whether A20 is enabled is more
>    complicated than necessary.
I looks now like it looked ~5 years back.
The 'more complicated then necessary' came in after some discussion
about some (hypotetical) problems with 386, broken caches, etc. I
don't mind

>  - if extended memory is >= 64 MB, the size returned by XMS V2 function
>    is 65535 kB in HimemX, FDHimem returns 64448 kB.

AFAIR, the 64448 number was intentional - some crazy app/game required
this

every thing else (just reading the ReadME !!) looks ok

> As for Jemm: some parts are rewritten from scratch, some are heavily modified.
> It's quite different from FD Emm386 now.

> Btw, in the name of how many people are you speaking exactly?
LOTS. It took lots of iterations to make EMM386 compatible with any
existing DOS extender in lots of crazy/brain damaged apps/games.

> And what do you regard as "well tested".
it was developed according to the specs, then a couple of bugs fixed.

after that, a ton of crazy software still didn't run as it expected
specific limits (treating 65535 kB as signed integer etc.)

AFAIK, Michael fixed all these issues.

> Because, as for me, I seriously doubt that a program
> is "well tested" just because some dozens (or some hundreds? I have no idea
> how big the FD user base is.) people boot FD with Himem, running their
> favorite handfull of apps occationally and then switch back to windows/linux.

it was more ~ hundred of bug reports 'App XYZ doesn't work'
including
  USBASPI (which accesses HW memory at 3GB)

BTW: did anyone ever try to run Intel NDIS network drivers with
EMM386/JEMM ?

Tom