On 7/20/07, NISA BALAKRISHNAN <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> 1.what are the various tools commonly used in free software or open source
> projects to track different versions?

mainly CVS and SubVersion....the later is more recent, the former,
despite still being used, is coming into a deprecated state in a
future which i cannot tell whether it is near or far...google for
those and you will find a lot of info...

> 2.what is a patch? how does it work?what is its complimentary tool?

a patch is a file which contains the difference between two
source-code files (or groups of files)....it reads the two files and
produces a special formatted file which contains the difference in the
source code of those two files (or two groups of files)....this
difference file can be distributed over the internet and can be used
to produce copies of the modified source code without having to
re-distribute the entire source tree...

Daniel

"Let us change our traditional attitude to the construction of
programs. Instead of imagining that our main task is to instruct a
computer what to do, let us concentrate rather on explaining to human
beings what we want a computer to do." (Donald Knuth)

"Yes, technogeeks can be funny, even if only to each other."
(http://www.boogieonline.com/revolution/science/humor/)"

"Man is driven to create; I know I really love to create things. And
while I'm not good at painting, drawing, or music, I can write
software." (Yukihiro Matsumoto, a.k.a. ``Matz'')