Hi Mark,

actually no FreeDOS distro has used harddisk images yet. The
mkisofs command shown below does not use any image at all.
Instead, it uses "no emul boot" to load isolinux, and this
then loads a compressed diskette image into a memdisk ramdisk
and boots it. Compared to using a classic diskette image boot,
you can write temp files to the memdisk. It should be equally
compatible as your method, and you are right that harddisk
images would be less compatible.