Hi!

> when I run ctmouse v2.1beta in Qemu, it says "Installed at
> COM1 (...) in Mouse Systems mode"

Mouse Systems means "no detectable mouse but at least there
is a serial port" ;-). You should try ctmouse /Y to avoid that.
Background is that Mouse Systems (Genius) mice have no real
detection handshake available.

> If I try "ctmouse /P", it displays "Error: device not found"

Interesting.

> The old ctmouse v1.91a does not have such a problem,
> it detects a PS/2 mouse and works in Qemu.

How about the classic 2.0 versions? Which 2.1 are affected?
Please try http://www.coli.uni-saarland.de/~eric/FILENAME
for: ctmouse21b.zip ctmouse21bb.zip ctmouse21b2.zip and,
newest, ctmouse21b3.zip ... You can get 2.0 and 1.9.1a1 here:
www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/dos/mouse/alpha/

Eric