> I replaced HIMEM and EMM386 by HIMEMX and JEMM386 today (I am running FreeDOS
> 1.0). Unfortunately, it hangs my PC. The system is booting okay, but when I
> use the PC, it displays an error message "Jemm386: exception 08 occured
> at..." and various hex numbers.
> It never happens (so far) when I use a game/program, but always at the
> command
> prompt (for example, after a "DIR" command, or "CD ..", etc...). The PC hangs
> sometimes immediately after the booting, but sometimes it works even half an
> hour.
>
> Any idea what is the problem? What's an "Exception 08"?

Exc 08 is a "double fault", but this is "unusual" and there is a good chance
that it is in fact an IRQ 0 (timer interrupt). Current Jemm disables
interrupts in protected-mode (this will partially change in next release), so
an IRQ 0 shouldn't happen at all, but who knows. To decide that it's an IRQ 0
or a true Exc 08, the Jemm register dump (at least the value displayed after
ERRC=) will help.

Did you read the "troubleshooting" section in readme.txt? If such problems
occur, the first thing to do is to run Jemm with the "safest" configuration
(X=A000-FFFF ...) and see if the error persists.