Hi,

> I looked at FreeDos because I am trying to boot SUSE Linux 10.3 from a
> non bootable USB hard drive which I am presently accessing with INSTLUX.
> I don't want to do anything to my computer's hard drive.

> I put the LiveCD in, and booted the computer.  On trying to boot I got
> the message "could not find kernel image: FDOS."  Because of this I was
> unable to look at the FreeDos.  Is this an incompatibilty with my BIOS?
> I have been able to boot other liveCD's.

This message might be generated by ISOLINUX: We use this boot loader
to load "memdisk" which is loaded as if it were a Linux kernel, and
which gets a (in our case compressed) diskette image as "initrd".
The memdisk is a bootable ramdisk from which we boot FreeDOS and load
cdrom drivers to access the rest of the LiveCD... The menu item for
DOS in our isolinux.cfg file is "fdos", the disk image is fdboot.img.
When you boot the image, you would get messages about kernel sys
(or maybe metakern) but not about a file called "fdos", which is why
I guess that you have a problem with the isolinux step...

Did you make sure to use the "remastered" 1.0 ISO of FreeDOS?
Unfortunately, we had an ISO with bad ISOLINUX configuration
online for months. It just failed to boot on many BIOSes...

Eric