Hi

Alain you stated:
I googled a lot on this subject: it seems that it is not possible to
boot from a CD when you are in grub. I have successfully booted floppy,
changed active partition from grub and even swap disks in such a way
that WinXP boots from the second disk...

I have already tested that using the tab key in grub ignores the CD, so
if you only get hd0,0 it is because there is only on disk with only one
partition.
Your interpretation of what I was observing makes tons of sense.  I have
knocked my head against the wall on this and have to say you must be right on
this one.  The live CD's are not just using the grub with an initrd and a
kernel.  They have to have a big work around on this one.  Thanks so much for
your posting.  I have been trying to do what can't be done the way I was doing
it.  I just have to find some other way of accomplishing my CD Boot.  In SUSE
Linux in their administrative documentation they talk about using grub and the
CD boot.  I think that their documentation has a serious problem because they
say to label the cd as root.  As you distinctly stated and my working with grub
demonstrated the CD isn't recognized even thought that is where the grub is.

Thanks so much for your interpretaton.

Ed