Hi Ed,

[EMAIL PROTECTED] escreveu:
> Alain you stated:
> I googled a lot on this subject: it seems that it is not possible to
> boot from a CD when you are in grub. I have successfully booted floppy,
> changed active partition from grub and even swap disks in such a way
> that WinXP boots from the second disk...
>
> I have already tested that using the tab key in grub ignores the CD, so
> if you only get hd0,0 it is because there is only on disk with only one
> partition.
> Your interpretation of what I was observing makes tons of sense.  I have
> knocked my head against the wall on this and have to say you must be right on
> this one.  The live CD's are not just using the grub with an initrd and a
> kernel.  They have to have a big work around on this one.  Thanks so much for
> your posting.  I have been trying to do what can't be done the way I was
> doing it.  I just have to find some other way of accomplishing my CD Boot.
> In SUSE Linux in their administrative documentation they talk about using
> grub and the CD boot.  I think that their documentation has a serious problem
> because they say to label the cd as root.  As you distinctly stated and my
> working with grub demonstrated the CD isn't recognized even thought that is
> where the grub is.

Well, are using a really old machine? Otherwise, what I do is to
configure the BIOS for boot from CD first and then HD. So the whenever I
insert a bootable CD it just ... boots!

I know of another solution the I never tested: you can have a boot
floppy that starts the boot from the CD. It was used a lot on old
machines that did not have BIOS option to boot from CD. That floppy
could be selected from Grub.

There must be a way to use something equivalent to the second option but
using a program somewhere...

Alain