Hi Japheth,

> > PS: The CTS Toasted 1996 ctstoast demo runs okay in LFB
> > mode if CWSDPMI is resident or if you use DOSEMU, but I
> > promise you that I did not write CTS Toasted and did not
> > ask the authors to give it the same bug as PCXTEXT ;-).

> I don't understand what you are talking about. There was a bug in
> your program which remained undetected because it ran by chance in
> CWSDPMI/DosEmu. That doesn't mean at all that programs NEED to have
> this bug "implemented" to make them run in CWSDPMI/DosEmu.

You are right, but it is an interesting coincidence that both
pcxtest and toasted crash under the very same circumstances.

Toasted can be found on www.cubic.org/gallery/ and it looks
pretty nice :-). Start it as "ctstoast setup" and select a
"linear" (framebuffer) mode. It will crash when trying to
show the LFB mode test image...

> Now, after the PCXTEST thing has turned out to be a non-issue (as fas as
> Jemm/hdpmi are concerned), let's return to the original problem: your

Actually: Why does hdpmi use a non-1:1 mapping linear/physical?
I mean it has every right to do so, but it turned out that this
can make DPMI usage a bit more foolproof ;-). I assume it saves
a bit of page table space? Being NOT foolproof can be good as
it can help to detect bugs, but otoh, a command line option to
go into a more foolproof style would not hurt either.

> mysterious program which runs with Himem, but refuses to run in Jemm/FD
> Emm386. You told us a very vague result ("...work better with DR EMM386")

I just want to say: No "Toasted" does not simply crash because
any emm386 is loaded. So you cannot say "jemm386 works as bad
as other emm386s so there is no need to fix it" ;-).

Eric :-)