Hi!

> I'm on a 486 DX2 66 EISA bus, no VLB.  20 megs of SIMM ram, 30 pin.
> Is there a copy of memtest86+ for freedos, it would be silly if this
> turned out to be a bad memory problem.

There is a 2003 exe version of memtest (memtest, memtest86, memtest86+
whatever... I only remember it was one of the right family :-)) on my
page: www.coli.uni-saarland.de/~eric/stuff/soft/specials/memteste.zip
You can (or maybe should) run it with HIMEM loaded but you must not
have EMM386 loaded. You can use my "memteste" binary as SHELL if you
want to create a really small DOS bootdisk with memtest.

> REM if not "%config%"=="4" LH FDAPM APMDOS

Why not? :-p

> if not "%config%"=="4" C:\FDOS\drivers\net\crynwr\ne2000 0x60 12 0x280

It might be better to let the driver autodetect port and IRQ.
I also suggest trying if things run more stable without the
network packet driver and/or without emm386 or better jemm386.

> lh doslfn

Heavy driver ;-)

> set PATH=%PATH%;%DOSDIR%\emacs
> set PATH=%PATH%;%DOSDIR%\SETEDIT
> SET PATH=%PATH%;%DOSDIR%\vim\vim70
> SET PATH=%PATH%;%DOSDIR%\fbc
> SET PATH=%PATH%;%DOSDIR%\PACIFIC\BIN
> SET PATH=%PATH%;d:\iomega

This gives you a long PATH, maybe you should reduce that a bit.

> !COUNTRY=001,437,C:\FDOS\BIN\COUNTRY.SYS

If your country is USA with VGA BIOS codepage anyway,
you probably do not need this. If you do not use the devel /
unstable kernel, the country sys file will be ignored.

> !FILES=100

That is a lot :-)

> 123?DEVICE=C:\CTCM\CTCM.EXE

Something about sound? Did you try without it?

> SHELLHIGH=C:\FDOS\bin\command.com C:\FDOS\bin /E:1024 /P=C:\autoexec.
bat

That is the default anyway, so you can say "/P" instead of "/P=...".

> 4?

An empty item? How about "4?echo you selected 4" instead?

> utime(fdupdate.tab): Input or output error (EIO)

Odd.

> If I press y, the computer crashes.

As Jim said - curl defaults to "show file contents" and
not to "download to file" unless you use -o, maybe this
confuses fdupdate.

Eric