Hi Michael,

> > Do you tried using the "tested" wget binary?
> > (http://mateusz.viste.free.fr/fdupdate/wgetx.zip)
>
> Why wouldn't the copy of wget packaged with freedos 1.0 work?

It is just a piece of the puzzle: If using another
version of wget solves the problem, we know more.

> machine.  I'm not using EMM386, I'm using Jemm5.70 on the 486.

Ironically, Jemm is less tested than emm386 on such old hardware.

> fact that fdupdate doesn't want to work on my 486, but other
> programs which use extended memory do, is quite odd.

The most common cause of crashes with emm386 or jemm386 is
probably not related to EMS or XMS but to UMB. Background
is that the area between 640k and 1 MB can be used for lots
of different things, and any emm386 variant can have some
problems finding out which parts of the area can be used by
DOS and which cannot. If you could test FDUPDATE with only
himem but not emm386 / jemm386 loaded and if you find that
this solves the problem, we know more.

> Well, on the emulated system where fdupdate works it didn't
> realize what it had updated the second time I ran it.

For some packages or for all of them? Sounds like a bug...

> I wonder what the difference is between a vmware environment and real
> hardware?  If I could figure that out, I might determine why my 486
> crashes.

The difference is in the hardware ;-). You use different
network drivers and different areas of memory are useable
(or rather not) for UMBs, for example. You might also be
running other drivers, like mouse or sound drivers, and
of course the BIOS. I know one example where some BIOS-
supported onboard sound "VIA/SB16 DOS compatibility mode"
made the 3com DOS network driver unstable, but I do not
know why exactly it happened. Probably IRQ / DMA issues.
Solution was to disable the SB16 mode in BIOS setup, as
there was no need to have SB16 sound in DOS on that PC.

Eric