Hi All,

Thank you for such an interesting discussion and all the great work on FreeDOS!

I have managed to install FreeDOS with VMWare player with Windows XP and it
works great.
I'm using DOS 16/M so I disable EMM386, etc and have no problems.

I now have the challenge of figuring out how to emulate some obsolete
hardware.? My application
uses direct memory writes to an obsolete peripheral communications device.?? I
can see a couple of
solutions to this:

1)? Re write the application to use WATTCP or something similar.

2) Leave the application alone and modify the emulator (like VMWare Player) to
provide a bridge between
the fixed shared memory addresses and some sort of standard Windows (or even
Linux) interfaces.

Leaving the application alone has some benefits since it's pretty complex,
brittle and old.

So option 1 is pretty obvious and I could run the app either with FreeDOS
booted directly on the hardware
or booted on VMWare under Liunx or Windows.

Option 2 is what I'm trying to explore -- has anyone had experience with this??
Does either VMWare or
DOSEmu have capabilities in this area?? How tough would it be to modify either
of these two environments
to provide some sort of memory range which is shared between FreeDOS and the
emulator which would
then communicate to the outside world?

I hope my question is clear...

Thanks!