I don't know about opensource, but there are versions of msdos 6.22
source floating around on the net.  It appears to be a complete source
version, including things like qbasic as well as all the kernel code
and such.
Perhaps it's escape wasn't entirely accidental?
In any case, I know that means it can't be used in this case, but the
fact that it's out there would seem to indicate that ms might be
willing to at least entertain the idea assuming appropriate
individuals could be reached.
I personally gave up trying to get ms to do anything at all years ago,
but as you say, if folks continue to ask, it's possible they'll
respond.  Borland hasn't open sourced their pascal compiler, but they
have released it for free on their musuem page, perhaps someone could
contact them and ask if it would be possible to include copies of tp55
with freedoss, it's likely they'd give permission, since they seem to
be pretty flexible over there.