See below...

You can tell windows where to install itself; it doesn't have to be c:,
however...

> stick in this case which is bad, so 2 possibilities I can think of:
> 1) configure freedos to boot in the usb stick as something
> else as c:, so that c: is free for the main drive; Is it
> possible? If yes, how?

You might be able to use the "subst" command to do this, but I'm not sure.

> 3) make d: [main drive] bootable and boot directly to the
> main drive and from there install windows. How can I do this?

IMO, this would be your best bet:  install freedos to drive d:, then remove the
usb key and reboot; it should pick up the hd as c:, boot freedos from it, and
then you can go on to install windows.