Eric Auer wrote:
> Hi!
>
>> I have a licensed windows from uni which I need to install on my
>> cdrom-less laptop. So, I created a usb stick with freedos...
>
>> 1) configure freedos to boot in the usb stick as something else as c:,
>
> You can sometimes boot USB sticks as (big) diskette,
> depends on your BIOS. Even if it is not FAT12 formatted
> and even if the size is not similar to 1440k at all.
>
>> 3) make d: [main drive] bootable and boot directly to the
>> main drive and from there install windows. How can I do this?
>
> You can of course boot freedos from USB (eg with makebootfat)
> and then use that to install on your real harddisk and make
> it bootable. You can optionally use xfdisk or spfdisk and of
> course FORMAT to delete the harddisk partitions and install
> a bootable FAT partition on it.
> I also strongly recommend using Ubuntu instead of buying Windows.
>
> Cheers, Eric ;-)

And your recommendation is wise! I am a Gentoo Linux user for 8 years
now. I just bought a Garmin Forerunner 405. Unfortunately there are no
drivers for linux yet so I need to install windows, snoop the usb port,
reverse engineer the protocol and implement the linux driver myself. :)

Thanks for the tips, will let you
know how it went!

Paulo Jorge Matos - pocm at soton.ac.uk
http://www.personal.soton.ac.uk/pocm