There is one fundamental problem for booting any DOS: it has to boot
either from A: or C:, this last beind an active primary partition

That is to say that if your pndrive is like an HD, you will need to make
it look like a primary active partition on the first HD.

There is a command that I used when I moved a XP from master to slave,
this can be a road to follow, as it changes drives transparently:

# Windows XP SP2
         title Windows XP
         rootnoverify (hd1,0)
         map (hd0) (hd1)