Hi!

> You could even put them on the same partition, since freedos can handle
> FAT32 natively.  IIRC, Win98 will set itself up as dual boot if there is
> already an OS on the partition when it's installed.

True. You can also use a boot menu of your choice, for
example a WinXP boot menu or the menu of your Linux...

The trick is to give the menu one boot sector for each
operating system on your C: partition. You can use a
tool such as:

www.coli.uni-saarland.de/~eric/stuff/soft/specials/boot-sector-save-n-analyze-oscheck.zip

With FreeDOS, things are even easier: You can tell our
SYS to write the boot sector to a file instead of
actually installing it. That file can then be added
to your boot menu. But as said, Win98, if you install
it after FreeDOS, will automatically make a boot menu
item for the "previous version of DOS".

You can let FreeDOS and Win98 use separate config files:
FreeDOS only uses config.sys if there is no fdconfig.sys
so simply make fdconfig.sys for FreeDOS and then you can
leave the Win98 config.sys unchanged. You can also set a
SHELL line there which says that command.com is in the
FreeDOS directory. Be careful! SYS will copy command.com
to the root directory, so you must first backup any Win98
command.com in that directory and restore it after SYS...
...or of course install FreeDOS before Win98, much easier.
Last but not least, you can tell in the SHELL line that
FreeDOS should use another file instead of autoexec.bat:

SHELL=c:\fdos\bin\command.com c:\fdos\bin /e:512 /p=fdauto.bat

>> So how would I set up a dual boot system with both FreeDos
>> and W98; I presume they would be in separate partitions?

No - that would be complicated, you would either have to
hide the partition of one while using the other and vice
versa... Unless you install a FAT16-only FreeDOS on what
Win98 calls D: while Win98 C: is FAT32 - then FreeDOS will
ignore the C: of Win98 and use your Win98 D: as its C:...

>> Or what about FreeDos on a 'logical' drive
>> in W98?    kurt  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>.

See above - FreeDOS and Win98 can even share the same C:
drive, which is probably the easiest way to dual boot :-)

Eric