Hi Kurt,

kernel.sys is a program (like exe), not a config file.
It does open c:\fdconfig.sys and if it does not exist
then it opens c:\config.sys instead. If neither is
found, it just runs c:\command.com and the default
activity of command.com is to run c:\autoexec.bat

So if your "fdauto.bat" would run while fdconfig.sys
would be ignored, it would be a quite odd combination.

You should also use F8 at boot to do things step by
step so you can find out what is really going on.

Eric