Hi!

I would like to make a (very) little announcement. I released a new program
today: HuffPack.

HuffPack is a very simple compression program. It's not meant to replace any
existing tool like zip, rar, etc. It's mainly an "educational" project, which
uses the Huffman coding to compress the selected file. It's slow, not very
efficient (it compresses text files to about 60% of their initial size) and
could crash if you try to do nasty things with it. Basically, there's no
optimisations at all, I wanted rather make a clear (easy to understand) code,
demonstrating the use of Huffman algorithm. However, it works okay, and even
checks the consistency of the file after decompression.

The program is written in FreeBASIC, so if you're a FreeBASIC coder, you could
be interested in looking at the code...

It's hosted on my gopher, at
gopher://gopher.viste-family.net/1/Projects/huffpack

If you're going to test it, avoid compressing files over 1-2 MiB, as it may
take a very long time :-D
I MAY work on it in the future, trying to optimize it and make the compression
better, but that's nothing sure. Again, it's an educational project, which is
not really designed to be used in "real life" :-)

Best regards,
Mateusz Viste
--
You'll find my public OpenPGP key at gopher://gopher.viste-family.net/1/PGP