Eric Auer schrieb:
> Hi!
>
>> sys can write the FreeDOS bootsector into a file. Today I recognized
>> that my freedos.bin working on one harddisk did not work on another
>> harddisk after a simple copy.
>>
>> I know grub4dos as a bootmanager has a generic binary bootable file or
>> memtest+ also has.
>>
>> Can you provide such a generic bootsector file for FreeDOS?
>
> No. The DOS boot sector must contain information about
> properties of your FAT filesystem and harddisk to stay
> compatible. As you said, you made it for ONE disk but
> implanted it on ANOTHER disk, so you forced it to have
> wrong information. As grub and memtest are just single
> files, they do not care much about the filesystem where
> you install them, if any filesystem is used at all. Most
> of the time you boot such tools from the MBR anyway...

But grldr (grub4dos) is just a single file and able to chainboot
kernel.sys on any harddisk.

(Starting grldr can be done however you want:
- you can start it with an initial program loader in MBR,
- either grub4dos's own IPL,
- or you can even rename grldr to ntldr and use XP's default IPL/MBR
- or you can use boot.ini to start it
- ...)

A generic FreeDOS boot.bin would just need to to the same like grldr +
removing the advanced features such as the bootmenu.

I see no reason why it should be technically impossible.

-mr