Dell offers many of their systems with no OS installed, just a FreeDOS install
CD!  I've been going that route quite a bit recently since I have many unused
XP licenses due to machines that have died in the field.  I haven't had a
failure of freedos to boot the machine yet, and this is brand new hardware,
with the latest cpu's and loads of RAM.

> So I would say FreeDOS might be commonplace while it simply
> lacks enough novelty value at the moment to be very visible.

Yes, it's used a lot behind the scenes; I've seen it in other places as well.