To boot from cd on a mac, hold down the C key while the mac is
booting.  It will then boot from the CD, and you can install as normal.
However, this shouldn't be necessary, there are vm images already on
the net you should be able to download one for freedos, and just drop
it into your hd, and be all set.  To install dos from the cd, you'll
need a separate partition to load the dos onto, and it will have to be
fat or fat32.  The mac partition will not be readable from freedos,
but that's not really an issue.
After you get freedos installed on it's own partition, then you will
need to go into vmware, and tell it to create a virtual machine from
the partition you installed freedos onto.
Hope this makes sense.
If you have trouble, let me know, and I'll see if I can help further.