> >> If you want you can setup a FTP server on DOS
> running as
> >> TSR in background.
> >>
> http://www.unet.univie.ac.at/~a0503736/php/drdoswiki/index.php?n=Main.Servers
> >
> > ??  This is a completely different topic.
>
> No, since you asked for connecting to file server share in
> a modern way.
> Perhaps I have misunderstood.

I (my DOS) want to connect to a file server, not be a file server.
Isn't this just the opposite? So, ok, not "completely" different,
but very much different.

> >> Unfortunately I haven't come across any
> background
> >> network drive
> >> software not being a memory hog and using
> XMS/EMS/JLM
> >> instant.
> >
> > Maybe an idea for a project?  :-)
> >

> Has been discussed here and it always ends with "use
> msclient" which is
> a bit like an "operation success, patent dead"
> solution. Unfortunately
> no one is up for such a project.

Hmm, talking to a SMB server probably is quite involved (I've tried
to debug some samba problems in the past and the "probably" in the
last sentence is wrong).
But how about a new, simple, protocol to transfer directory information
and files between hosts? Nothing fancy. Might be doable withing a few
weeks.

Is there some information about how to write network redirectors for
FreeDOS?

regards,
chris