Well, msnetworks and samba wouldn't be bad as it's now compatible and
widespread. Just msclient needs improvement.

On the other hand the msnetworks protocol could be updated in the future
and seeing updates for dos software is unlikely.

Any other cross platform networking?

Maybe simple connect to an SFTP server and mount it as share while using
mostly XMS or JLM?

-mr