Hi Mateusz,

>> You could either package the files into zips to make sure their
>> timestamps are set by unzip or you could fix your web server ;-)

> I am not talking about timestamps inside zips (these are usually preserved),
> but about timestamps of the transaltions files, downloadable from my website.
> HTTP doesn't provide any real way to tell "this file's has been created the
> 3rd may 2003". You won't hop it.
> My server is giving you a "Last-Modified" time, which is already an optional
> HTTP header, but Firefox isn't using it to store the downloaded file anyway.
> In any case, I don't think that basing anything on file's timestamp is a good
> idea. These timestamps may change / be overwrited / falsed for many reasons.

The timestamp is preserved when you download via wget or
similar software. I do not think you can tell firefox to
preserve it, though, so you are right about that problem.

Most web servers do give the Last-Modified time, unless
the content you are looking at is dynamically generated.
Of course you would have to make sure that you preserve
the timestamps when you upload files to the web, too ;-).

So... Indeed, timestamps can easily be lost, but on the
other hand, ZIP is a good way to protect them a bit :-)

Eric