There's no technical reason open document formats couldn't be
supported on 386-486 machines, after all, the format itself has
nothing to do with the cpu usage.
As for using word perfect on windows 98se, I've done this on a 486-
sx-66, and it worked just fine.  I don't think you have to worry about
too many processes or anything like that.
And, for printing to modern printers, just use the default standard
windows printer, as long as your printer has a windows driver, (and
the word processor you're using can talk to standard windows
processes) you should be able to print to any printer regardless of
it's feature set.
I know there's a program out there somewhere that will make windows
printers show up as a dos print spool or something similar, but I've
never used it, so can't comment on how well (or not) it works.
If it's a problem for you though, you may want to look into locating it.
Alternatively, just go find an older inkjet printer that has both usb
and paralel connectors on it, then you can use it under dos and
windows w/no problem, and it shouldn't cost much to get one, they show
up all the time at local stores like unclaimed baggage here in town,
though come to think of it, I've not seen any in good will for a
while, guess they stopped accepting them.