>> If you're waiting for further improvements to 2038 before you release
>> 2038, then you're doing this wrong. [...] I'd strongly recommend
>> making 2038 available, and putting the "few pending improvements" in
>> 2039.
>The problem is that Eric holds back at least three necessary patches, of
>which two are already provided in source form. He doesn't exactly have to
>"wait" for these, we've completely described them.

This sounds strange to me. As you both probably know, the unstable branch was
discussed not long ago and it was made clear that it was not ready to be
released. Three more necessary patches doesn't really help, does it? The
unstable branch can become a big treasure for future development, but why
release unstable binary for testing when noone is developing it? A list of all
the patches is being made.

FPGA chips is getting very cheap and there is now open source 80186 cpu.
Suppose a free 80286 cpu comes and Win31 becomes available at low cost, that
would really increase my interest in the unstable branch. Of course, any DOS
GUI for the early CPUs that resembles win95 would be interesting. A GUI aimed
for modern computers seems a little less logical unless a principal advantage
could be pointed out. So here it is: I wonder if a GUI made solely for 32-bit
programs could have an advantage in using 16-bit DOS with no floating point
math, thereby not needing a lot of context saving for a DOS call. I have had
this thought for some time, so I hope someone can comment on it.

Usul wrote:
>I have been researching what it would take to make a Win 3.x compatible GUI. I
>wanted to
>write a GUI might as well make one that is useful, there are enough new ones
>out there that are new.
>I think this could be done there is plenty of ports out there to either use or
>learn from:
>HX DOS Extender (although there is the lack of license with the source code
>provided.)
>Wine Project for Linux
>Reactos

>As for the GUI again plenty out there
>NanoX & wxWidgets

Maybe WinDos or Ozone could be of interest?
http://freedos.wermlandsdata.com/files/gui/windos/doc/history.pdf
http://freedos.wermlandsdata.com/files/gui/windos/
http://ozonegui.sourceforge.net/screenshots.php
Developing these a little might give much reward for a limited amount of work.

/Anders