Hi Robert,

> 1) ftp://ftp.simtel.net/pub/simtelnet/msdos/arcers/jam125sw.zip
> JAM is a transparent hard disk compressor, which enlarges your disk
> space. With the JAM you will forget about annoying messages like
> 'Insufficient disk space...' with no need to purchase a new hard disk.

It only mentions compatibility for DOS versions up to for example
MS DOS 7.0 so maybe it does not support LBA or FAT32? The docs do
mention many authors so one could ask about that and maybe also
about whether they can make JAM freeware. Now it is shareware but
free for personal use.

> 2) ftp://ftp.simtel.net/pub/simtelnet/msdos/execomp/diet145f.zip

Link seems to be dead but Garbo has it: ftp://garbo.uwasa.fi/pc/execomp/

> 1.2.  What makes DIET really unique is its ability to compress
> DATA Files and to automatically expand them when you call them
> into an Word Processor or Editor to read or change them.

When loaded as TSR, DIET seems to decompress files into tempfiles
and redirect access to those. Changes can optionally be compressed
again and written back to the original but compressed files. If it
is not loaded as TSR, DIET is just an exe packer like UPX and any
DIET compressed data files will look broken for your apps because
they of course do not know how they are compressed ;-). Still DIET
is a classic and probably worth trying. Shareware, but free for
personal use :-). I assume it can work with most non-LFN DOS apps.

Eric