Hi!

> It seems that the sound blaster ISA and sound blaster 16 PCI
> cards are the only ones that will work with freedos.  Well,

This is not freedos specific. It depends on your games or
other software that you use for sound output, exclusively.

> I have a soundmaker cadenza on my D845PEBT2 Intel mobo with
> a P4.  It would be nice if there was a dos driver for this

Dos does not have sound drivers. Dos games have sound drivers.

> sound card, but as far as I know there is only a Windows
> 98/XP driver.  There is the crynwr packet driver collection
> for network cards so why not make an open source driver
> collection for sound cards?

Because there is no widely used standard for drivers. If you
have a driver for one game, all other game might ignore it.

> Under Linux this is what my audio card shows up as using /sbin/lspci:
> 00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM
> (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 02)

Actually AC97 and HDA are quite widespread at the moment,
so you might be lucky in finding a DOS media player such
as MPXPLAY which supports at least a number of AC97 chips.

Please describe in more detail what exactly you want to do
with sound in DOS - play games? Play music? Something else?
Note that an energy-saving alternative for the latter would
be using one of those USB flash drive sized players... :-).

Eric