For the quick answer:
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html

No, merely using the GCC compiler doesn't make your program a "covered work".

If you are statically linking a library covered by the GPL license, your
program constitutes a "covered work" under the terms of the GPL, unless the
copyright-holders have made a specific exemption;
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/exceptions.html

if you are using the LGPL, your programs do not consitute a "covered work" and
do not covered by the LGPL:
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/lgpl-2.1.html
"5. A program that contains no derivative of any portion of the Library, but
is designed to work with the Library by being compiled or linked with it, is
called a "work that uses the Library". Such a work, in isolation, is not a
derivative work of the Library, and therefore falls outside the scope of this
License."

I hope this helps.

Wesley Parish

On Sunday 14 June 2009 19:25, kurt godel wrote:
> This is a general question, not(?) completely off topic. I have never quite
> understood the GPL type license
> in the following sense: I write my own c++ software; I compile it using an
> open source deal like djgpp;
> if I then distribute the compiled exe, am I legally obliged to also
> distribute(i.e. my) the source code that I merely
> compiled on a GPL system?. If so, is this because the GPL libraries are
> statically linked into the exe?.
> Am I in any case required to include the source code that came with the
> djgpp distro?. I am genuinely
> confused about this, and the requirements *appear* to be daunting and
> cumbersome; or, am I making
> much ado about nothing?--kurt<wb2...@gmail.com>.

-----
Are couch potatoes good to eat?
A nose by any other name would smell as sweet. (By Bacon under the pseudonym
of Shakespeare)
-----
Mau e ki, he aha te mea nui?