Eric Auer wrote:

> as your driver already has built-in caching, UIDE does
> not need to "make" int 13 device numbers for non-BIOS
> devices ...

I assume you mean its ability to cache devices other than
its own SATA/IDE devices, by using UIDE's "external call"
routines, and I agree with you.   A non-BIOS device needs
its own I-O logic, which except for USB/Firewire I am not
interested in adding into UIDE, and so I will dismiss the
idea of UIDE "making Int 13h device numbers".    UIDE was
meant to handle caching for already-existing devices, and
not "add its own" devices".

> I still think that allowing PIO for harddisk in case
> UDMA fails would be nice, and maybe it could share
> most of the logic with CD/DVD PIO mode.

I have heard of cases where my older drivers through 2006
caused FAILURES, if they tried setting UltraDMA to values
other than what the BIOS set.   That logic was deleted by
me around 2006, and UIDE now takes whatever UltraDMA mode
the BIOS sets for disk/CD/DVD units.

I have NEVER heard proven cases where "UDMA fails" either
due to a BIOS-made UltraDMA setting, or at run-time which
would give MANY disk I-O errors!   If this occurs, a disk
or mainboard controller likely has died, likely a "3 year
warranty" disk, and a user needs to run diagnostics, then
go buy NEW hardware!   Cases where "UDMA fails" by itself
as you describe are very rare!

During init, note in UIDE.ASM after label "I_MSNm:" where
it calls "I_ValD" and validates a disk as being UltraDMA.
If NOT valid, an error message is displayed and the "Non-
UDMA" disk count is incremented, meaning UIDE then "calls
the BIOS" to handle I-O for that disk at run-time.   Thus
UIDE is already doing what you ask, since the BIOS likely
will handle such a "non-UDMA" disk using "PIO mode".

> The block device thing is a separate issue -

I also agree.   This is an item that should not be a part
of UIDE, which is an I-O driver for already-existing hard
disks of the "Int 13h" variety.   "Block devices" require
different drivers which really should be kept separate.