Hi Garry,

you probably mean the old 1 diskette distro of FreeDOS?
Then I would recommend to try the newer diskette distro
on http://rugxulo.googlepages.com/ - you can also use
the first 1 or 2 disks, no need to fetch all three :-).

You are right that many things in FreeDOS use the same
option syntax etc as in other DOSes like MS or PC DOS.

For English or German help about FreeDOS in general,
please check HTMLHELP. It is part of several distros
 (run HELP or HTMLHELP at the a:> or c:> prompt...)
but you can also read all the text online on the web:

http://help.fdos.org/   Please let us know if you see
any errors or find that topics that you would like to
read about are not covered yet. Thanks!

Eric

PS: Please do also let us know which commands say
"incorrect dos version". Maybe you just booted
FreeDOS and then started Win9x DOS apps later?