> And speaking of disk checking, I haven't had much luck with DOSFSCK
> either, and still less with CHKDSK. Both crashed with loss of files in
> different occasions. As a result I'm now wary of using either, and
> when I occasionally do run DOSFSCK I get apprehensive.

DOSFSCK works fine for me. I'm using one labeled as "2.11.DOS" from
2006-04-15, which is probably the one from the FreeDOS 1.0 distribution.
It runs on HDPMI 3.16 (yeah, probably there's a newer one).

Specifying the different occasions either program crashed for you might
help the developers fix it.

Regards,
Christian