Hi,

> Thanks for your interest.

Thanks for reporting to the list!

> One exception is DOSLFN, which I occasionally used in
> combination with the file managers NDN or File Wizard to
> decompress files with InfoZip.
>
> Whenever DOSLFN was used, CHKDSK would find dozens or even
> hundreds of damaged files. In addition, strange folders or files
> appeared which could not be deleted. To get rid of them I had to
> copy the usable files to a second hard disk and reformat the
> first. This happened three or four times, in two different
> computers.

Did you use the latest DOSLFN version (from Jason Hood)? More importantly,
notice that DOSLFN can be disabled or unloaded without rebooting. Did you
disable it (or restarted the computer, without DOSLFN) before running
CHKDSK? I'm uncertain about this, but enabled DOSLFN might cause weird
CHKDSK (or DOSFSCK) behaviour.

Disk-caching software such as LBACACHE or SmartDrive might also lead to
problems (either stand-alone, or only in combination with DOSLFN). Do you
use any cache?

> For instance, I have not been able to understand how to use the
> DOSFSCK with the "-V perform a verification pass" option. The
> logic behind it is clear: "let's have a look at things before
> changing them". But when the program runs, it just writes:
>
>   dosfsck 2.11.DOS3, 8 Aug 2007, FAT32, LFN
>   Starting check/repair pass.
>   Starting verification pass.
>   c:: 33412 files, 42820/65505 clusters
>
> That confused me. Does it mean the disk is OK? Is there anything
> else to be done?

Yes, such a screen means DOSFSCK didn't find any error either in it's
first pass or in the verification pass. I usually run DOSFSCK with the -r
and -t options too, which enable interactive operation (DOSFSCK will
prompt you what to do on errors) and testing whether clusters are bad.

Your appended NSSI report says there's no XMS (HIMEM) or EMS (EMM386)
driver installed. Is that your usual configuration? This might cause
problems. I think DEFRAG and software ported to DJGPP (such as DOSFSCK)
might run better with XMS than with "raw" extended memory.

Regards,
Christian