On Thu, 2010-04-08 at 14:22 +0100, Liam Proven wrote

> > Windows 3.1x for high resolution displays i.e. beyond 1280x1024 with 16
> > million colours. Sadly I've had to abandon it due to lack of
> > documentation and sources for existing device drivers.
>
> One problem with such things - and a few did exist, back in the day -
> was Windows 3's resource limitations. It had a few 64K "heaps" for
> holding Windows Resources, which includes icons, window decorations
> (widgets) and internal data structures. The bigger the display, the
> more resources needed; also, the higher the colour depth, the more
> resources.

*sigh* I'd forgotten about that 64k limitation. :( But there still is a
need for display drivers for WFWG users; there are a lot of new graphic
hardware out there that have no display drivers available for WFWG.

> Result, on 1280x1024 in 16M colours, after displaying the desktop &
> opening Program Manager, there sometimes wasn't enough memory left to
> open any apps at all.
>
> So, really, from someone who was there and had to support the damned
> thing, 17-18Y ago: you're not missing much. It looked impressive but
> it was sod-all use.

If that was a long time ago, dare I hope you might have some sample
sources for me to look at? I still want to write graphic device drivers
for WFWG.

> If you want to get a feel for Win3-era Windows on a big desktop, use
> NT3. NT 3.51 was the last and best version & was a very good OS in its
> way. It was fast, stable, lean & efficient, it supported whacking
> great screens without issues, it ran most Win3 apps, it had a network
> stack & TCP/IP support out of the box, supported VFAT with LFNs and
> NTFS and OS/2's HPFS, and was generally a pleasure to work with. You
> could run Netscape 4 32-bit on it, too, for a pretty good Internet &
> Web experience - for 1995.

I seem to remember there was once a port of NT 3.51 for Sun
UltraSparcs. :)

> But of course it doesn't run on DOS.

Indeed not.
--
http://www.munted.org.uk

One very high maintenance cat living here.