2010/4/11 Sir Gallantmon (ニール・ゴンパ) <ngomp...@gmail.com>:

> It's already been done. One really well known one is DJGPP, which implements
> enough of the POSIX API to run the tools it includes. Another I've found is
> emx+dos. I don't know how POSIX compliant it is (Wikipedia says it is
> "largely" compliant verses DJGPP, which it labels as "partially" compliant),
> but it is Free Software under the GNU GPL v2.
> It is available
> here: http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/h-browse.php?dir=/pub/os2/dev/emx/
> Note that it says it is in the OS2 directory, but the source is buildable
> for OS/2 and DOS.

These are DOS extenders. They enable 386-mode code to run under DOS, a
16-bit OS. It's not the same thing at all. They do not enable you to
run multiple DOS apps at once.

Q.v. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DOS_extender

(Disclaimer: if I remember correctly, I originally wrote that article!
However, it's been expanded a fair bit since.)

> Why XFree86 though? XFree86 hasn't been updated in years, since it was
> forked to create the Xorg variant of the X11 server.

Good point. Agreed!

I can only blame temporary brain-fade. X.org is indeed a newer, better
product, although XFree86 did have better driver support for older
display hardware.

>> There are a lot of programs and tools supplied with FreeDOS. Its
>> utility would be much improved if they all could be multitasked, even
>> if on a full-screen basis.
>>
>> Not all of this need be re-invented from scratch – there is Free code
>> out there that could be used, or at least studied. It would be a
>> bootstrapping process, as once the system got to a level where Linux
>> tools could be cross-compiled, there is tons of suitable Free software
>> available: lightweight window managers, editors, Internet tools and so
>> on.
>
> This is a great idea! But we need skilled people to be able to do this...

Yes indeed. But then, there clearly are some skilled people working on FreeDOS!

Email: lpro...@cix.co.uk • GMail/GoogleTalk/Orkut: lpro...@gmail.com
MSN: lpro...@hotmail.com • ICQ: 73187508