At 06:18 PM 10/3/2010, jassen...@itelefonica\.com\.br wrote:

>  I mean the BIOS in the machine I am using (Award,
>dated 12/08/1994) has LBA support, with
>1 logical block= 8 sectors. This value seems hardcoded.

Where do you get this info from? It just doesn't make any sense, even
the old 28bit LBA addressing allows for drives up to 128GB, and I
would have yet to see a drive/BIOS that does NOT use 512 bytes/sector
for drives in that range...

LBA as in "Logical Block Addressing" means that each sector on the
drive is addressed with a sequential sector number instead of the
previously used CHS (Cylinder-Head-Sector) method. There is nowhere
in ATA-1 (ANSI standard X3.221-1994, which in fact defines the 28 bit
LBA addressing scheme) one word mentioned about "a logical block
consisting of multiple physical sectors"...

Ralf