Hi,

On 12/18/10, Felix Miata <mrma...@earthlink.net> wrote:
> On 2010/12/17 21:58 (GMT-0800) Thomas D. Dean composed:
>
>> On Sat, 2010-12-18 at 00:19 -0500, Felix Miata wrote:
>
>>>  I tried 'dd if=balder10.img of=/dev/fd0' but got output error.
>
>> When you install FreeDOS from the CD, I seem to remember something about
>> creating a bootable floppy?????
>
> I tried that, but got errors there too, varying according to choice of
> drivers loaded at boot.

I don't know what to tell you. Most floppy images of FreeDOS are old
(Joris, ODIN, Balder, Lucho), even mine (Ruffidea). There aren't
enough volunteers to keep everything up to date anyways. And floppies
are a rare (dying) commodity these days, even USB drives. It would be
easy to make you a custom image, of course, but it depends on what you
need.

There hasn't been a proper floppy install since beta8 although one guy
did manage to split FD 1.0 into 88 (!) floppy images (see iBiblio for
a mirror), though I think the readme says four would be enough for
minimal. But 1.0 is "too old" (heh), IMHO, so you should manually copy
some stuff to latest / greatest.

IIRC, all you really need are these:

kernel.sys, command.com (bare minimum)
fdisk (xfdisk? spfdisk?), format, sys (to install)
uide, xmgr, rdisk (Jack's drivers)
fdapm, ctmouse, moresys, xgrep, nansi, doszip (niceties)
mode, display, ega*.cpx, keyb, keyb*.sys (i18n)
(decent text editor)

>> http://www.linfo.org/freedos_floppy.html
>
> That helped. After continuing to get failures from dd, it made me think to
> try a different/third machine/floppy drive (running OS/2), and got rawrite
> make a floppy that enabled me to boot and FORMAT C: /S.

You must be installing, otherwise this wouldn't be needed. You didn't
mention FDISK, though, so I assume you already had taken care of that.
To create a floppy, you can use diskcopy, rawrite, fdimage, sfx14436,
or who knows how many other tools.

> Chkdsk (0.9) isn't reporting filesystem type. Is that usual in FreeDOS?

Dunno, but most likely yes. There's a WHICHFAT tool somewhere, but I
can't find the URL. But any FDISK (or similar partition program)
should report what filesystem for you. Anyways, I was always told that
DOSFSCK (32-bit) was preferred over FreeDOS CHKDSK (16-bit) if at all
possible.

> My C:  is 243M, which I had expected to use FAT16B and have a smaller
> cluster size than 4096, but I guess I'm just rustier than expected on FAT
> stuff,
> or am I?

4 kb is nothing, my P166 (600+ MB total partition size) is 16 kb,
which is annoying. But in hindsight, two partitions < 512 MB would've
been smarter. (Too dumb/lazy to temporarily install a second hard
drive just to fix that.)

> "The wise are known for their understanding, and pleasant
> words are persuasive." Proverbs 16:21 (New Living Translation)

Get ready for Christmas!   :-)