Hi Eric, Robert, and others,

> what do you usually do on the desktops and notebooks?

    Texts (mainly Aurora editor), databases (DataPerfect),
    spreadsheets (SuperCalc).

> Please tell us a little more about the specs of the
> notebooks / desktop.

    Pentiums, year 1995-2000, CPU speeds 133-333 MHz, memories 96-128
    MB.

    Typical FDCONFIG.SYS:

        COUNTRY=055
        SET lang=EN
        LASTDRIVE=L
        FILES=40
        BUFFERS=4
        stacks=0,0
        break=on
        DOS=HIGH,UMB
        DOSDATA=UMB
        VERSION=6.22
        DEVICE=C:\FDOS\JEMM\JEMFBHLP.EXE
        DEVICE=C:\FDOS\JEMM\JEMMEX.EXE   VERBOSE FASTBOOT NOEMS
        DEVICE=C:\FDOS\BIN\nansi.sys
        SHELLHIGH=C:\RECURSOS\4DOS\4dos.com C:\RECURSOS\4DOS /P=C:\fdauto47.bat

    Typical FDAUTO.BAT:

        C:\BATCH;C:\BATCH\MENUS;C:\USO;C:\FDOS\bin;C:\RECURSOS\4DOS
        set dosdir=C:\FDOS
        set cfgfile=C:\fdconfig.sys
        set NLSPATH=%dosdir%\NLS
        set temp=C:\temp
        set tmp=C:\temp
        loadhigh DISPLAY con=(EGA,,1)
        MODE con codepage prepare=((850) C:\RECURSOS\FONTTELA\sanse_38.cpi)
        loadhigh MODE con codepage select=850
        MODE con delay=2 rate=24
        C:\FDOS\BIN\CTMOUSE.EXE /R1 /3
        Shsurdrv  /D32M$Disco_Virtu
        DEVLOAD /H C:\FDOS\UIDE\UIDE.SYS /S25 /H /PM
        loadhigh C:\RECURSOS\4DOS\kstack.com
        loadhigh c:\FDOS\BIN\keyb.exe br,850
        loadhigh c:\fdos\bin\FDAPM.COM APMDOS

> Does this also happen with a clean boot (no drivers loaded)?

    Yes. The Aurora editor, for instance, usually reaches 98-99% idle

    time on desktops, but only 50% on the ThinkPad with nothing
    loaded except COMMAND.COM and FDAPM.

Another intriguing fact is that I've already seen -- albeit very
rarely -- high numbers on the notebooks such as 90%, and low ones on
the desktops such as 3%.

Could this be related to BIOS power management, such as HDD power
down, system doze, standby, suspend, etc? Is the "FDAPM stats"
calculation influenced by these?

Regards,

Marcos

Marcos Favero Florence de Barros