In fact there is appinfo directory with fdkernel.lsm packaged within
those zips. So, I believe, there is a way to actually install it with
fdupdate. But as for me, it is much more straightforward to just
unzip\overwrite.

As for ISO editor it depends on OS you're using. For building ISOs in
DOS you can use mkisofs from cdrtools. For Linux there is AcetoneISO and
ISO Master. For Windows there is tons of ISO editing soft, from crappy
ones to power-tools like UltraISO or MagicISO. While most of it will
cost you some money, there is still few freeware ones, most notable: AVS
Disc Creator (http://www.avs4you.com/avs-disc-creator.aspx), Visual-ISO
(http://dpaehl.dd6338.kasserver.com/cdr/visualiso.php) and of course
CDmage (http://cdmage.orconhosting.net.nz/frames.html)