Hi,

On Thu, May 19, 2011 at 7:28 AM, Preethi S. <preet...@amiindia.co.in> wrote:

> I am creating ramdisk with Letter drive "E:" using rdisk. I've included
> Rdisk command in the "Autoexec.bat" file. Also,
> I've included one more command "shsucdx.exe". This is shown below.
>
> LH RDISK.COM /S 40 /:E
> shsucdx.exe /D: CDRCACH$
>
> I was able to create the directory. In addition to
> that, it is creating "C" drive but that was not formatted.
>
> I want to know the following details:
>
> a) What is the use of shsucdx.exe

CD redirector, e.g. not related to RAM disk at all.

> b) Whether shsucdx.exe creates any drive.

Honestly dunno what it does at the low level, never looked closely at
its internals, but it (MSCDEX, NWCDEX, SHSUCDX, etc.) basically is
only used in conjunction with a CD-ROM driver, e.g. ATAPICDD.SYS,
UIDE.SYS, etc. If you don't need (or want) CD access, you can ignore
it.

> c) Is it necessary to include "shsucdx.exe"?

Here (when using RDISK as RAM driver)? No, not for this task. All you
really (!) need are KERNEL.SYS, COMMAND.COM, XMGR.SYS, RDISK.COM. Of
course, feel free to add more.   :-)

P.S. I think all current FreeDOS XMSv3 drivers require 386+. For
instance, FDXMS286 is only XMSv2 (64 MB limit). Jack's RDISK is
limited to 2 GB, I think. (I know I know, 99% of people won't care,
but just for clarity, I'm mentioning it anyways.)