On Thu, Jun 23, 2011 at 2:56 AM, Michael B. Brutman
<mbbrut...@brutman.com> wrote:
> On 6/22/2011 9:15 AM, Marcos Favero Florence de Barros wrote:
>> Hi Mike,
>>
>> Thanks for mTCP!
>>
>> I experimented with it yesterday for the first time, and it took
>> me just 15 minutes to get started, in spite of my near complete
>> lack of internet experience (except of course web browsers and
>> email clients).
>>
>> This also means that your manuals are well written, so my
>> compliments for that too.
>>
>> Because I am now obsessed with idling the CPU by means of
>> FD-APM, I tried your FTP with the DPAKBD program. It worked
>> well, and CPU idle time was above 90%.
>>
>> And, last but not least ... the bug report!
>>
>> This is about SNTP. My Time Zone variable is set to UTC+3
>> (Brazil). The program did correctly set my clock to 3 hours
>> behind Universal Time Coordinated, but on-screen it said "UTC"
>> instead of "UTC+3":
>>
>>    ---------------------------------------------------------------
>>    mTCP SNTP Client by M Brutman (mbbrut...@yahoo.com) (C)opyright 2009-2011
>>      Version: May 30 2011
>>
>>    Resolving pool.ntp.org, press [ESC] to abort.
>>    NTP server ip address is: 187.49.33.15, resolved in 0.00 seconds
>>
>>    Your selected timezone is: UTC
>>
>>    Current system time is: 2011-06-22 10:09:54
>>    (etc.)
>>    ---------------------------------------------------------------
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Marcos
>
> Marcos,
>
> I am glad that you found the documentation usable - I spend a lot of
> time on the documentation, so it is good to know that it is time well spent.
>
> SNTP uses Open Watcom to do the time zone calculations.  According to
> the Open Watcom documentation, the TZ environment variable follows this
> format:
>
>     std_offset_dst_offset_,_rule   (underscores are added for readability)
>
> Std and dst are time zone designations.  The +3 that you are adding is
> an offset.  So when Open Watcom parses the environment variable is sets
> your time zone as UTC and the offset as +3 hours from coordinated
> universal time.  Timezone is what SNTP is printing out.
>
> I think this is a matter of "working as designed."  I might add some
> more output to make it more clear, but it probably is not a bug.  (If
> you use the verbose flag on the program it will tell you the timezone
> offset in seconds explicitly.)
>

> Regards,
> Mike

If SNTP works anyway like in Linux/UNIX then the computer takes its
hardware clock as UTC. If the hardware clock is offset to local time
it will be misinterpreted. The poor computer doesn't have any
conception of UTC by itself, it only knows its hardware clock.

UNIX computers always runs UTC in hardware no matter where on earth
they are placed.