Hi Ru─Łulo,

I just tried it! Thanks for the info! :)

However... It works with keyboard layout and codepage - both hardcoded.

There are (at least) 5 arabic layouts, of which I prepared two
(arabic/french and arabic/US) for FreeDOS, according (as much as
possible) to industry's specifications. QE didn't allow me to
ignore/override its hardcoded keyboard layouts.

Codepage 864, as hardcoded into QE, is a subset of Codepage AR864, which
is the one I picked for FreeDOS because it presents the whole set of
necessary arabic letters and ligatures, as opposed to either MS- or
IBM-DOS cp864: both miss the same 4 glyphs. (Important to mention, at
this point, that I'm referring to arabic glyphs used in the arabic
language alone. There are distinct codepages for persian and urdu, for
instance.)

Therefore, since it won't let me use either the keyboard layouts or the
codepages I prepared either for arabic or hebrew, in what comes to
DISPLAY/KEYB/MODE, QE is helpless; besides, even after dismissing what I
prepared and trying to work with QE on its own, I wasn't able to type
arabic or hebrew. The cursor doesn't move as it should. This would imply
on one of two possible approaches:

1) The cursor standing still while the text is pushed rightwards, so
that the resulting visual effect is correct. This approach is the usual
one on text-mode environments.
2) The cursor starts at the right margin and moves to the left margin as
the letters are typed. This approach is used on graphical environments.

However, I must admit that everything I work on for FreeDOS is under a
Win98 SE's DOS Prompt, under a virtual machine in VirtualBox, under
Windows 7 64-bit. Perhaps this scenario didn't allow QE to run as it
should. Besides, I must also admit that there are users which might
consider easier/more practical to just run QE instead of having to worry
about DISPLAY, MODE, KEYB, CPX files, etc, etc.

That all said, I think its valid (if possible) to include QE (or at
least a reference to it) on the FreeDOS website - provided, naturally,
that the author considers it interesting or simply allows it. After all,
telling from the screen shots, it must run fine on some scenario out
there. Perhaps under real-mode DOS. :-)

So far, among the solutions I tested to deal with bidi text for FreeDOS,
the best one is Thomas Wolff's Mined.

Regards,
Henrique