JPT,

> tried the floppy to partition and format the hardisk.
> It works if I choose not to load any drivers, i.e. --
> 1 - Install FreeDOS ...
> 3 - Dont load any drivers at all
>
> In the other cases, I get crashes.
> 1 - Using default settings results in a JemmEx
>     errormessage after loading the kernel ...
> 2 - Using alternative xms memory manager (xmgr)
>     results in invalid opcode after loading the kernel.
>
> This is the hardware:  P3-800, Asus Cubx board,
> Intel i440BX chip, 384MB of RAM, Network 3Com 3c905b

Ah, "good old" Asus, who AREN'T what they used to be, as I
know from my prior Asus mainboard and MANY service-related
E-Mails (both English ones from me, and Mandarin ones from
my partner Johnson Lam) that all went totally UNANSWERED!!

VERY unusual, for XMGR to fail!   I would need to see your
exact CONFIG.SYS file.   If you use XMGR, I assume you are
also loading JEMM386 (not JEMMEX!) with XMGR, or you would
get some message from JEMMEX that an XMS manager (XMGR) is
already loaded!

XMGR cannot by-itself display an "Invalid Opcode" message.
This must be coming from JEMM386.

Also, only UMBPCI or the "EMM" driver (JEMM386, EMM386, or
JEMMEX when it is used) will "examine" the system and find
the upper-memory addresses (A0000h to EFFFFh) which can be
used.   XMGR examines only for XMS memory, 100000h and up,
and relies on the "EMM" driver to deal with upper-memory.

So, my opinion is that your system likely has some area in
the upper-memory address range that "confuses" JEMM386 and
is causing your problem.

You can try running UMBPCI followed by XMGR, with NO "EMM"
driver, as I show in Section 5 of the README file for XMGR
and UIDE.   This leaves your system in "real mode", not in
"protected mode" as with the "EMM" drivers, so you may not
be able to run some protected-mode application programs.

But this lets UMBPCI "examine" the system for upper-memory
instead of the "EMM" driver.   UMBPCI, and XMGR in its XMS
memory tests, both have a somewhat more modern memory-test
scheme than the JEMM drivers, which desired to stay "fully
compatible" with the scheme used in the original EMM386.

So if XMGR + UMBPCI "survive" loading on your system, this
usually denotes an upper-memory "examination" problem with
JEMM386/JEMMEX.   You may then need to use specific I= and
X= commands in loading the JEMM drivers, to "avoid" memory
areas that cause trouble!

In any case, do post your actual CONFIG.SYS file, so I and
Japheth can see exactly what you are doing.

Jack R. Ellis