Op 4-9-2011 0:26, Eric Auer schreef:
> Let me see... ~/fdbasecd-remastered.iso is the output file,
> in your home "~" directory. Isolinux.bin is the boot menu
> software, I found it on my Ubuntu after installing isolinux
> (I guess) in /usr/lib/syslinux/isolinux.bin but you should
> also be able do download it or re-use the one from FreeDOS.

http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/boot/syslinux/syslinux-4.04.zip
The isolinux.bin is identical, but patched/updated whenever creating a
bootCD.

> The location isolinux/isolinux.bin is where mkisofs puts or
> expects the file. Note that for me, mkisofs is an alias for
> genisoimage, not sure what the difference between both is.

License stuff. MKISOFS/CDRECORD using CDDL after having used GPL for a
while, CDRKIT/GenIsoImage using GPL2.
Both are available for DOS as well:
* http://sites.google.com/site/blairdude/cdrkit
* http://bootcd.narod.ru/index_e.htm

> The boot.cat file is the boot catalog location in the ISO
> that you create - the file is made by mkisofs and contains
> El Torito boot properties. Option -no-emul-boot means that
> you do not use a floppy image to boot. If you have one, it
> can be e.g. 1440k or 2880k, then you do not need ISOLINUX,
> but there are some other pros and cons.

yep required CD drivers for the interface your CD-drive is on. I wonder
if booting Win98 CD works on USB CD-drives, doubt it, as it uses an
ATAPI driver. (ELTORITO.SYS cd-driver works also for USB CD booted in
no-emulation mode..unless loading your own USB stack).
Also by default the floppy part is read-only, which means whenever
accessing it, the CD has to be in the drive.

> The main point is that you can modify the contents of
> /tmp/fdbasecd-contents/ to fit your needs and make the
> ISO that you like :-) Note that when booting ISOLINUX,
> a small compressed floppy image is booted first, which
> has the DOS start-up files and drivers... The bulk of
> the install data (ZIPs with packaged DOS software) is
> outside the image, simply in /tmp/fdbasecd-contents/.

> Eric (I hope this was all correct :-))

pretty much yes. An emulator with working floppy(-image) which can be
easily altered, is easiest. Then when done, use the floppy image for
bootcd. Personally I'd prefer an as-small-as-possible boot image which
loads the required drivers before accessing CD.
Reason is some computers make USB storage boot up at 1.1-speeds,
effectively limiting read spead to single-speed CD-ROM.