With some limited exceptions (like 4DOS), the "expansion" of batch
functionality has generally been provided by external utilities, rather than
being integrated into the kernel.  E.g., once in awhile I use the old PC
Magazine utility called STRINGS, and I know there are other similar utilities
available as well.  There's also REXX, which already comes with FreeDOS.

It's debatable to me whether this should be an integrated function or not,
since it will require more memory.